Most of us want to grow closer to God in the New Year. As Christians, that should be our ultimate goal in life – every day, to grow closer and deeper in our relationship to God. Sometimes though, the thought of that can be overwhelming – and we don’t know where to begin. We might make one goal or resolution to help us, but, in reality, it takes several components working together to grow closer to God each year.
There are seven disciplines that I think will help us grow closer to God in the New Year. I think we often choose to work on one, and we forget that these disciplines are connected to each other. Instead of making a resolution or a goal about one of these areas, think of some ways that you can grow in each one – and watch your relationship with God go to new depths!
8 Ways to Grow Closer to God in the New Year
- Reading God’s Word- Yes, in order to grow closer to God, we have to get into the Word of God. The only way you grow closer with anyone is through communication – and God communicates with us through His Word. Start small – read just a few verses each day, and take what God speaks to you and apply that!
- Prayer- Communication goes two way, and prayer is our communication back to God. We take time to pray each day. We pray back the scriptures God speaks to us through. We pray for request for others. We pray for needs in our own life. We pray for our spiritual walk. Yes, prayer in order to grow closer to God, we have to share our heart with Him- and we get that opportunity through prayer.
- Journaling – I think that journaling is very important part of growing closer to God. When we journal, we have a record of what God has spoken to us, and we also have a record of the prayers that we have prayed and how God has answered. This record keeping will allow us to see the faithfulness in God.
- Serving- One of the greatest way we will grow closer to God is by serving others. It is taking what we are learning about God, and putting it into action. It is the actual conforming to the image of Christ. If you are not currently serving in your local church – that is where you need to plug in first. This last year, I have gotten the privilege to serve in the two year old class at church. Teaching kids the truths from God’s Word is the most important thing we can do. No matter what it is – plug in! Then, begin to serve in the community!
- Church Attendance- This is one that many think they can leave out. The Bible tells us that we should get together and fellowship with the believers. We should gather together. We need each other – and the best way to grow is to find someone and grow with them!
- Worship- This is more than just music. This is an attitude. This is more than corporately- this is as a family and as individuals. When we worship the Creator, we will see the world in the correct perspective, and we will be drawn back to Him again and again – thus, growing closer to God.
- Giving- This past year, my husband and I increased our giving. It was such a faith stretch for us – but God has been faithful. I won’t tell you he poured out tons of monetary blessing, but he did always meet our need, and we trusted in Him in a new way. When we give, we have to trust God to meet the need. Trusting someone always requires us to grow closer to Him.
- Sharing the Gospel – If you really want to grow in your faith, than you have to share it. You will never trust God more than when you are trusting him to use you as a vessel to share the gospel. It will also grow your faith as you see people you know and love come to saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.
I hope that these simple disciplines will help you grow deeper and closer to God in the New Year!
Worshiping With My Life,