I love watching home videos. Just the other day, my husband was able to find a video from my youngest daughter’s first Christmas. Since my husband was a widow when we married- this video was before the time we were together. It was a part of his past. As much as I loved watching those videos and seeing the children I love as little bitty things, it was hard for me. It is a part of his past that I am not a part of. Satan was quick to remind me that my husband had loved before. That my kids had another mother.
Satan uses our past to try to plague our future. He uses our past to make us feel shameful, discontent, scared and unworthy. He uses our past against us, again and again, a home video of our past constantly playing in our mind. Just the sight of an old stomping ground, a certain song on a radio, or a smell or taste of something we once knew – can take us to a place we never wanted to be again.
Satan uses our forgiven past to poke holes in our future.
Do you blame him? Some of the best ammunition that Satan has in our lives are the very things we did. Some of them before Christ- some after our salvation. So he rolls the camera of our mind, and reminds us of things we wish that we could forget- things that God has forgotten when he placed our sins as far as the east is from the west.
As far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us. Psalm 103:12
God has redeemed us. He doesn’t want us living in that past state. Instead of living in who we are in Christ, we continue to live in guilt and shame – guilt that God has redeemed us of! We are no longer guilty in His eyes!
When Satan bombards us with our past, we need to bombard the Heavens with prayer to get us through. God’s Word has the very words we need to help us gain victory over our past so that we don’t live there anymore!
10 Bible Verses To Help You Deal With Your Past
- Ephesians 2:1-6 – And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience—among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind. But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,
- Isaiah 43:16-19 – Thus says the Lord,who makes a way in the sea,a path in the mighty waters, who brings forth chariot and horse,army and warrior;they lie down, they cannot rise,they are extinguished,quenched like a wick: “Remember not the former things,nor consider the things of old.Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.
- Psalm 30:4-5- Sing praises to the LORD, O you his saints, and give thanks to his holy name. For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning.
- Isaiah 40:29-31- He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.
- 2 Corinthians 12:9- But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
- Hebrews 13:8- Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
- Philippians 4:8- Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
- Lamentations 3:22-23- The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
- 2 Corinthians 5:17- Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
- Ephesians 3:16-19- that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
Don’t Let The Past Destroy The Future:
Remember, you don’t live in your past anymore. It does not define you – it is not who you are anymore. God doesn’t live there – and we should not either! The only thing we need to live on is grace alone!
The glory our God receives, and will eternally receive, from having saved our souls doesn’t come from all the good things we do for Him. His glory comes from creating people of purity and spiritual passion who once did things like that. Like we’ve done. Like you’ve done. Like I’ve done. – Priscillia Shirer
Sweet sister, we don’t live in the past anymore. We live in grace- and that is freedom!
Worshiping With My Life,