Summertime is here, and yes, that means family vacation. Right now, I am sitting up after getting our family ready for vacation. The task isn’t easy- and it takes days! I thought it would be great for other moms to hear what someone else does when preparing for a trip, and maybe that will help you get organized- or not feel alone in your chaos!
Preparing for Vacation
1) Make List – About two weeks out, I start making lists. I write down how long we will be gone, what our activities will be, and what the whole family will need for the different activities. Depending on the type of vacation- I might have some shopping that needs to be done (if you have a lot of shopping to be done- I suggest doing it further in advance than two weeks. You want to get good deals!)
2) Bring down the luggage – About one week before we go, I bring all the luggage to one central location. For us, that is our living room – which means the living room needs to be cleaned (and cleaned WELL!) for this to happen. So, I clean the living room, vacuum, and then bring all the luggage down.
3)Laundry- When we come home from vacation- we will have laundry. It is the one piece of vacation you get to bring home! 🙂 So, I try to do all the EXTRA laundry the week before we leave. This helps us gather what we need- and so I won’t be overwhelmed when I get home. I also change the sheets on our bed- so we all come home to clean bedding! As I have shared, I usually do one load to completion a day -so this means doubling up in order to get it all done!
4) Cleaning- I try to use this as a time to clean the house. We have a dog- and usually, we have someone who comes and sits with our dog at our house. So, that means the house needs to be clean. Plus, who wants to come home to a dirty house? So, I spend some time cleaning before we leave. I usually double up and detail two rooms a day.
5) Share the Load- You know, you will share vacation. Make planning for vacation a family affair. I remind my children that they would rather travel with a well rested Mommy – and they agree! So, we take turns and all pitch in. I like to have everything done before the day before we leave- so that way we can rest well that night.
6) Be sure to clean out the fridge and take out the trash- seems self explanatory…but…. 🙂
7) Packing- I start packing three to four days before hand. This gives me lots of time to make sure we have everything. I lay out outfits (everything from under clothes to hair stuff)for each child and myself and hubby. Also, this is a great time to train older kids as to what they need.
8) Quiet Bags- Our family travels with quiet bags. Even with electronics and DVD players in the car- I make the kids take books, coloring stuff, and quiet activities for the ride down. We alternate what we do in the car. We also pack snacks.
10) Load the car!
THEN….. HAVE FUN! The most important part really isn’t if you get all that done- but make sure you do all you need to do (or don’t do!) so that you can relax and take the moments you need to focus on those that God has given you!
What are some things you do to prepare for vacation?
Worshiping With My Life,